Cameroon Frees 27 Boko Haram Hostages

FILE - A convoy of Cameroon's army soldiers as part of a reinforcement of its military forces against  Islamist group Boko Haram.
 
    Suspected Boko Haram militants in Cameroon have released 27 hostages, including 10 Chinese workers seized earlier this year, Cameroon’s president said Saturday.
In a statement, Paul Biya said the newly freed hostages were turned over the Cameroonian authorities and were “safe and sound.” The hostages included the wife of Cameroon's deputy prime minister, Amadou Ali.
No information was provided about what led to their release.
Kolofata, Cameroon
The hostages were kidnapped in two incidents, both in Cameroon’s far north.  The Chinese workers were taken May 16 from a construction camp near the town of Waza, amid gunfire that left a Cameroonian soldier dead. The rest were captured in two July 27 around Kolofata that left 15 dead. 
Cameroon shares a long border with Nigeria, where Boko Haram has been waging a bloody insurgency since 2009. 
The militant group is blamed for thousands of deaths across northern Nigeria and has claimed responsibility for the kidnapping of more than 200 girls from the Nigerian town of Chibok in April, sparking international outrage. 
Nigeria's government has struggled to stop the attacks, despite deploying thousands of troops to the northeast and imposing emergency rule in three states.

credit source:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate